First go at upholstery..
Last night I had my first go at wrapping some stuff in Bride fabric. I started with the glovebox and good lord that thing showed me who was boss. I think I spent a total of 4 hours working on it. Toby got quite a lot of enjoyment out of watching me struggle I think. Anyway, here are some progress pictures.
What I started off with
After pulling the nasty stained stinky tweed off. When you do this, the tweed separates from the backing (yellow stuff) so to prevent any lumps I sanded down all of the high spots.
Mocking up the fabric so that the bride logos are level with the bottom of the glovebox and not slanted like they were on my coupe
Top part glued down, about to start stretching
Toby made me this little “tongue” or trim piece as he called it to help finish off the area on under the handle. Also put a fresh coat of Landau Black on the handle itself
Finished and reassembled
Back in the car
Another showing the arm rest, which I did second and was much easier.
The red is definitely very grabby. I’m hoping when I get the door cards done they kind of tone the glovebox and arm rest down a little. Otherwise I’ll have to get red Zeta 3’s.
My thumbs are killing me from all that fabric stretching. And that stuff is made out of kevlar I swear, such a pain to cut.
Might have another super small update tonight of the “hey I bolted a part on” sort, we’ll see.
I ordered some more stuff for the car, A’PEXi Z32 MAF intake, some random little interior clips that I was bummed I was missing like the ones on the sill plate, Circuit Sports exhaust hanger bushings and then a Z32 rear caliper rebuild kit.
Oh and I’m really regretting the gray dmax floormats now btw. Knew I should have gone red.